Homemade Blueberry Fruit Snacks



I have been seeing and pinning links to recipes for homemade fruit snacks on Pinterest for a while now. Classes finished last week so now I have time to experiment with them! 
Combing through the recipes I noticed some glaring issues. They called for juice. Which I didn't have, and I think defeats the purpose just considering cost and sugar added by using it. They where also really small batches.  If I can imagine eating the whole batch in one setting, it's too small! Then the gelatine to fruit/juice ratios seemed a little wonky and considering they used about half liquids, half fruit when I wanted to use mostly fruit they wouldn't turn out right anyway. So, working from the best looking (based off the comments) recipe I designed this one.

 A few notes:

You should sweeten to taste. I was happy with how sweet they were but if you are switching kiddos from store bought to homemade these will most likely need to be sweeter.
I let the gel set up two hours on the counter and then cut the sheet into quarters and refrigerated over night. The change in texture from their night in the fridge was huge! After the two hour setting up they still had a pretty spongy texture and were just tacky. The next morning when I-ahem- taste tested they where nicely solid and dry.
I think they would turn out fine without the jam, instead you can replace it with fruit. I just had a jar that was at that almost gone stage when no one wants to use it and I won't open a new jar.
If you don't have apple sauce, grate or puree apples to replace it. This might make the mix more watery. Just pay attention at the end to how thick it is after you add the gelatin.  It should be pretty thick.
To test if its thick enough, after adding the gelatin put a spoon full of the mixture on a (preferably) metal Cookie sheet. Stick it in the freezer for five minutes or however long your patience can endure. If it gelled up nicely, it should still be soft though, you have cooked it enough. If not cook a little longer and try again.
Using different fruit will change the end product. As will the ripeness and quality of the fruit. It might need more sugar or cooked longer or shorter lengths of time. There might also be some fruits that have different enough natural pectin content to change the amount of gelatin needed. I plan to do a little research and try this recipe again with other fruits.
Be careful of over mixing/pureeing. One of the most common complaints people had on the other recipes was that the fruit snacks turned out foamy or weird textured, which they attributed mostly to over whisking or over processing.  By just processing the fruit, like I did, I think you can stop a lot of that foam from happening. On the flip side however, make sure you add the gelatin  SLOWLY, whisk it THOROUGHLY, and leave it on the heat long enough to COMPLETELY MELT.  Otherwise you will end up with some weird extremely chewy unflavored areas- those pieces were pretty gross... But, I only had a few!  
Here's the recipe, this really is a piece of cake!  Enjoy!

Blueberry fruit snacks

 

16 -7.29 gram size gelatin packets (that's what I used) you can also find Gelatin that's not in packets or even from grass fed cows

5 cups of blueberries
1 15oz can unsweetened apple sauce
 ½ cup blueberry jam
3 heaping tbs brown sugar
½ cup water or juice
coconut oil
for greasing

filled a inch high 9 ½ x13 inch baking sheet


Bring apple sauce, berries, jam and water to a boil.  Once the berries get that “ready to burst” look I strained them out with a slotted spoon and pureed them with the food processor until just smooth. Then I added the pureed berries back and added sugar to taste.
  Let the berry mixture come back up to a boil. Have your gelatine all in a bowl so you can just sprinkle it in as you go. Then slowly, gradually whisk in the gelatine, make sure it's really well mixed in or you get those weird super chewing spots in the end product-like mine! Keep the heat on and keep mixing until it's all dissolved then pour the mix into greased  (I used coconut oil) pans or molds. I let it set up two hours on the counter then quartered and refrigerated it. I just plan on cutting it up into fruit snack size pieces when I "need" it. I think you could also probably use cookie cutters for fun shapes IF you wait until the next day to do it. You could also use silicone molds to make adorable little shapes.


Oh, and wash these dishes ASAP!! 




 This post is part of the 116th Homestead Barn Hop, and The Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways Wednesday Blog Hop  , Fresh Food Wednesday, From the Farm Blog Hop and The HomeAcre Hop #32 check them out to find other great blogs like ours!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting it! Looks yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2013/06/homestead-barn-hop-116.html

    This post is participating in the Homestead Barn Hop! Head over and find all sorts of blogs like ours to read!

    ReplyDelete

Add to the conversation!