Lemon Curd

Homemade Lemon Curd

Do you know if there’s a Lemon Curd Addicts Anonymous treatment group?
If not, we might have to start one.

 I was poking around one of my new favorite blogs and re-discovered lemon curd, I had wanted to try making it before but hadn’t taken the plunge.
Here’s that recipe, which of course, I didn’t follow. 
Even thought I didn’t follow it seeing how simple her recipe was convinced me I had to try it. So I found four or five recipes, combined what I liked from them and tried it out. 

Homemade Lemon Curd From Scratch
Heaven!
I’ve made two batches now and I’m afraid it might become a regular condiment in our fridge.
 Ok, I’m not afraid at all, I’m thrilled!
 I can’t believe I’ve lived this long without having eaten a big spoonful of lemon curd, or toasty buttery bread with lemon curd or puff pastry filled with cream cheese and lemon curd…

Homemade Lemon Curd From Scratch: lemon curd and cream cheese filled puff pastry

Homemade Lemon Curd From Scratch: lemon curd on homemade bread

Homemade Lemon Curd From Scratch
My mouth is watering.
If you like lemon and pudding type things you are going to love this. It’s super creamy and lemony, not overly acidic and mildly sweet.

Without further ado, the recipe:

6 tbsp butter
3 large eggs
zest and juice of three large lemons ( about a cup of juice and a ½ cup of loose zest)
1/3 cup natural sweetener of your choice, white, brown or raw sugar, honey, you pick!
1 tsp salt
Makes about two cups

Homemade Lemon Curd From Scratch: zesting lemons
Homemade Lemon Curd From Scratch: lemon zest
Homemade Lemon Curd From Scratch: juicing and zestingHomemade Lemon Curd From Scratch: lemon juice
Homemade Lemon Curd From Scratch: eggs

Melt butter, add zest and juice, let cool to luke warm so it won’t scramble the eggs.
Beat and add the eggs, salt and sugar, Whisk together over medium low heat.

Keep whisking until it just starts to thicken, it may bubble too. Take it off the heat and keep whisking. Continue whisking until its appears to not be thickening anymore and it isn't bubbling.  If you don’t think its thick enough you can put it back on the heat and keep whisking. Doing it that way helps avoid scrambling your eggs.
It will continue to thicken as it cools so don’t worry if it isn’t super thick.
Then strain it through a fine mesh strainer, use a spoon or whisk to stir the curd so it will strain faster. You want to use the finest strainer you have so all the zest, any stray seeds or curdled egg gets removed. If you skip this part your curd won't be nice and smooth like it should be.

Homemade Lemon Curd From Scratch

Let it cool on the counter uncovered for a little while before covering and refrigerating.
This keeps for about a week.
 I’m quite sure you can eat it all before then.

Homemade Lemon Curd From Scratch

Homemade Lemon Curd From Scratch: lemon curd and cream cheese filled puff pastry


Homemade Lemon Curd From Scratch: lemon curd on homemade biscuits


Homemade Lemon Curd From Scratch

This post is participating in the Homestead Barn, Mostly Homemade Mondays, Real Food Wednesday, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, HomeAcre, Homesteaders, Savoring Saturdays, Totally Talented Tuesday's and From The Farm blog hops, check them out to find other great blog like ours!

12 comments:

  1. This looks so easy, I want to drop everything and try it. If only I had some lemons! Hello from HomeAcre Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had better rustle up some lemons! Welcome and I hope you'll be back soon!

      Delete
  2. Never heard of this before! It looks absolutely delicious! I may have to buy some lemons soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to try it! If you like lemons you will LOVE lemon curd.

      Delete
  3. Looks easy and sounds tasty. I've never had it before. Thanks for sharing with us at The HomeAcre Hop!

    Please join us again Thursday at:
    http://summers-acres.com

    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very easy, some recipes make it sounds complicated but it really isn't. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. OH MY WORD. Emily, I am in love with lemon curd! I am going to make this tonight to make my lemon chicken instead of the curd I usually buy at the store. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm, lemon curd used to cook chicken? Do tell! Let me know how it goes :)

      Delete
    2. I'll be posting about the recipe shortly, but the idea is that the curd forms the base for a sauce that's briefly heated with vinegar and lemon juice, then mixed with cubed, cooked chicken. It's so good! I'm actually getting ready to make the curd right now :)

      Delete
    3. mmm, sounds yumm! I will have to check it out :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness... that looks amazing. I am definitely going to be try this... Thanks for sharing it at Savoring Saturday! (Um... you don't, by any chance, have a recipe for that amazing-looking pastry too, do you?) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to be in heaven, its so good! I do have a recipe for the puff pastry, just haven't gotten around to posting it yet! I have to make it again and take pictures, sometime in the nearish future, keep your eyes peeled!

      Delete

Add to the conversation!