Our Love Story

People talk about love at first sight and knowing that someone was the one. We have our own version  versions of that story. One night I was praying about what God had in mind for me. I had always felt I would be single. I had a very strict set of standards in mind for a husband. I didn’t see how anyone would actually fill them and saw that lowering or changing my ideals would only result in heartbreak and two unhappy people. I was frustrated with God. I wanted answers, as I usually do. I wanted to know what he had in mind for me; I wanted to know if he had a companion for me. I honestly just wanted to be fully confident that I would be single and to move on with my life.
Well god had other plans. The next day AJ showed up out of the blue on our doorstep. When I opened the door, all I could think was; Is this for real? He had come home with a  friend from Oklahoma and stopped to say Hi. I had always been friendly with AJ, and thought he was a sweet heart who also happened to be incredibly handsome, but I figured I didn’t register on his radar.
If I’m honest with myself, and you, I knew from the start if it wasn’t AJ it wouldn’t be anyone. And I was okay with that, at first. Then I realized that without him my life would never be complete. That god had made us to complete each other. Our flaws and strengths balance and strengthen each other. I don’t even remember that list I had, no imaginary man could be more perfect for me then the one I have.
This last year had been a hard one. It has tested us in every possible way; our marriage, faith in god, humanity, ourselves. Most of what has happened I wish I could forget, that it would pass away into shadow. But I never want to forget how thankful I am that my husband didn’t die falling of that cliff. That he can still walk and talk. And that our relationship has only grown stronger.
Today is our second anniversary. It’s hard to believe it’s been that long and at the same time it feels like we were always together. I have asked AJ more times then I can count why he showed up that day. He still says he doesn’t know why. Well I do, because I prayed and god answered.
 
My version is completely different of course. I was living in Oklahoma that year, and one day out of the blue I just felt like I needed to go back home, there wasn’t any big things to make me want to go back home. Not to say that I was dreading going back to the Methow valley and the Cascades.
I had told one of my best friends, Brad, that I was thinking about leaving in a few days to go to Washington, he had grown up there as well and had a interest to go with me. At that time I had been couch surfing, and one night I stayed up late way too late. I got locked out of the house I was staying at, you know I don’t even think I checked the door I just slept in my car, in my good old Subaru the Washington Zephyr. It was nice that night too, with the hot days of Oklahoma; it was nice to be outside at night.

I woke up in the passenger seat of my car to my phone ringing, it was Brad, he first asked me if I was still going to Washington. I told him yes, he said, could we leave today, I didn’t even think about it I just said sure why not, I’ll be there in 15 minutes. I got out of the car, didn’t even go inside for the rest of my stuff, started up the car and left.
It took me and Brad 22 hours driving from Tulsa, Ok. to Pateros, Wa. We didn’t stop for much; maybe a snack while filling up for gas and a rest area here and there. That car could travel. When we got to Pateros, I don’t remember if it was the first day or the third, but one day we were just heading up the Methow, just turned up the valley and I pointed over to the peninsula park. I said that there was a sister and her two kids that live over there, I was telling him what good people they were and what not. Anyway we just turned the car around and went back to visit. And that’s when I knocked on the door and Emily let me in.
A year later Brad had told me he knew when he walked in and saw Emily and her family and got to set down and enjoy the conversation that I would marry her. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t thinking of such things. I always thought Emily was a great girl and that I was way too much of a bad boy for her. I guess she straightened me out.

As you can tell, we have very different writing styles and ideas about grammar. A.J. says, “the government has lots of rules people don’t agree with, why do we have to follow the rules of grammar?” He gets very lets say, excited, when I say anything about what he could change. I, on the other hand, think that punctuation is extremely important for the flow and meaning of the written word. We both have very strong feeling about writing and literature; it’s a subject we will continue to disagree about.
 

Our wedding was photographed by Jessica Rose.
If you are interested in Jessica's photography you can get in touch with her at her blog.


8 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! Beautiful photos. I enjoyed reading both sides of the story of how you met and became a couple. This past year would be hard on any couple, but the Lord has seen you through, and blessed you with an amazing testimony. I wish you many, many more years of happy anniversaries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful.........God indeed Answered.........Both of Your Prayer! He Saw All Your thoughts & Knew Your Needs.........His perfect Plan for You Both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary. Loved your stories.
    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading your "love story". :) You both complement each other. Truly a "match made in Heaven". Happy Anniversary and wishing you many more happy and healthy years together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, thank you Bev! we really were blessed to have each other.

    ReplyDelete

Add to the conversation!